After spending 10 days in the desert recently I had a breakthrough on how I wanted to BE from now going forth.
Not having a phone, or any other device to connect with the outside world, allowed me to be RIDICULOUSLY present. Not worrying about checking my phone, or what other people were doing, or what was going on in Facebook Land, I was able to connect more deeply with people by focusing 100% of my energy on the present moment, and not only listening better, but being able to contribute to my life experience more richly by being aware of my surroundings and all my 5 senses.
Here are my 10 takeaways from 10 days being off the grid:
- I am HUGELY dependent on my smartphone: maps, social media, web browsing, calling, texting, and email are just a few of the things I use EVERYDAY.
- I’m going to keep my phone in my pocket while I am having dinner (or any other gathering) with other people.
- I won’t use my phone while walking. I’m going to enjoy the present surroundings and smile for being able to process them with all my senses.
- My phone is not a person. When I have the choice, I will choose conversation (even with a stranger) with a person over using data on my smart phone.
- I’m excited to get lost every now and then. I’ll explore new areas and have new experiences whenever possible.
- Being unconnected (digitally) is the most freeing feeling. Take a day every month and disconnect (no phone, email, FB, etc) so that I can reconnect with myself and the world around me.
- Hug everyone. I’m done settling for handshakes; bring it in for the real thing! This is something I realized before being off the grid, but I felt compelled to share it nonetheless
- I’m going to spend less time on social media and more time hanging out in REAL life. I will use my digital connection to set up in person connections.
- The world will not stop if I disconnect. I can pick back up where I left off whenever I want!
- Using my phone less makes me more present, and therefore a better listener, a better man, a better friend, and a better partner!
My time off the grid was truly transformative.
In this day and age it is so easy to pick up your phone when you’re bored. Instead, let’s create a culture that says hello to people and is present with their current surroundings!
I think a shift is in order to REconnect with ourselves, our planet, and all the beautiful BEings on it.
The time is now, who’s with me?!